Featured Post

Content moving to Medium first

Hello readers! I'm renewing my efforts to share content about reuse via this blog, but from July 2023 forward, new posts will appear on ...

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Sow's Ear Challenge

While surfing the net for more local food information, I came across the web site of Sleepy Creek Vineyards. I'm not a wine lover, but I was hoping to find out if they sell grapes or related products. I couldn't determine this from the site, but I did find a pleasant surprise while checking out their Hayloft Art Gallery page. Apparently this local vineyard hosts a contest called the Sow's Ear Challenge, in which folks are asked to "make a silk purse from a sow's ear," using reclaimed materials to create something new. This year, the theme was e-waste, and I wish that there were pictures posted of entries, especially since I came across an entry on an area blog (Smile Politely) discussing the vineyard and mentioning a "George Clooney toaster" that was one of this year's entries. According to the web site, last year the challenge material was a wooden pallet (again, I wanna see--where are the pictures?) and next year, the material will be cardboard. The site says Dean Schwenk won this year for a lamp made from old circuit boards, so congratulations to him for his really reuseful idea. Hats off to Sleepy Creek for what strikes me as a great idea, but I hope that in the future they'll post some photos (at least of the winners) and provide a list of the materials focused on from year to year.

No comments: